Setting a host lease time via OMAPI

Julien jsemaan at inverse.ca
Thu Mar 3 21:57:59 UTC 2016

Hi Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Now, the goal of this is not to affect the current lease but to affect
future leases.

Maybe a bit of context will help.

We have a network which is used for captive portal registration, when
you are done registering, you leave this network (through a VLAN change).
The lease time is set to 30 seconds so that the device tries to renew
its IP in the new network fast (and then fail, and get the proper IP)

Now, some devices connect to the network and stay there for days, months
without doing anything else than getting DHCP and without trying to
register.
We would like these devices to have a lease length that is higher than
the other ones so that it reduces the load on the DHCP server.

This above is determined at runtime since the detection occurs after the
DHCP server has started, thus the need for it to occur dynamically
through the OMAPI or another mean.

Regards,

- Julien