DHCPD is not re-using addresses

CLOSE Dave Dave.Close at us.thalesgroup.com
Sat Mar 12 02:24:50 UTC 2016

The environment here is Fedora 23. One machine acts as DHCP server for
the others (normal, I know). A small portion of each subnet is reserved
for dynamic assignment, devices without reserved addresses.

When I run PXE on a new machine, I see the Anaconda (the Fedora
installer) makes at least three requests for a dynamic address. So far
as I can tell, all of the requests are identical. The sequence is
something like this.

DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER on 10.76.148.235
DHCPREQUEST for 10.76.148.235
DHCPACK on 10.76.148.235
DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER on 10.76.148.248
DHCPREQUEST for 10.76.148.248
DHCPACK on 10.76.148.248
DHCPDISCOVER
DHCPOFFER on 10.76.148.249
DHCPREQUEST for 10.76.148.249
DHCPACK on 10.76.148.249
DHCPREQUEST for 10.76.148.248
DHCPACK on 10.76.148.248

Even though all the requests originate from the same MAC address, the
DHCP server gives each request a unique response. As the address leases
take time to expire, I quickly run out of available addresses. Much more
quickly than I should.

I don't recall this happening when doing the same operations on a Fedora
20 base, both DHCP server and PXE installations.
--
Dave Close, Thales Avionics, Irvine California USA.
cell +1 949 394 2124, dave.close at us.thalesgroup.com

"Technology has the shelf life of a banana." - Scott McNealy