DHCPREQUEST flooding

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Thu May 5 14:40:31 UTC 2016

I am running a 4.2.5 ISC DHCP server (up-to-date via Centos 7
repository) for our ISP business.  We have around 7000 subscribers; most
with an el-cheapo router, a few with no router at all.  Most of our
customers are using a variant of Linksys router (Linksys, Cisco-Linksys,
Belkin, etc) because that is what we provide if they ask for a router.
However, this issue is not only a Linksys issue, as we are also seeing
PCs exhibiting the same behavior.

The issue is that we have a fairly large number of devices (around 300)
that are issuing DHCPREQUESTs at extremely short intervals (the worst, a
few second apart).  In the last 6 hours, some of these devices have
REQUESTed over 2000 times.  They are all being ACKed.

Is this a common problem that everyone sees, or do I have a config
issue?  This has actually been going on for a long, long time, and I am
just tired of the large log file sizes.  Since we're an ISP, we have to
keep our logs for a few years time, so the log file size can become an
issue.

A typical network stanza looks like:

         subnet 76.10.94.0 netmask 255.255.254.0 {
         pool {
               authoritative;
               range 76.10.94.20 76.10.95.200;
               min-lease-time 129600;