cutover from conf file to ldap

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 23:17:25 UTC 2016

running fedora 20, dhcp 4.2.7 (i will be upgrading to f24 shortly after
it comes out)

i have put a bunch of effort into setting up ldap to house my configs
and all of the directives in my conf file(s) are in ldap at this point.
if i run the below:

dhcpd -4 -f -t -cf /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf.ldap bond0

i get:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.2.7
Copyright 2004-2014 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

it seems that no issues exist in the config, as housed in ldap.  if i
run the same command with a -T, to test the leases file, every IP in all
subnets, pools, etc is reported with the below line:

lease 192.168.xxx.xxx: no subnet.

the subnet definition exists in ldap, so i dont know what this might
be.  a nuance with the lease file, maybe?  any pointers would be
appreciated.

now, when i cutover from conf files to ldap, what is the proper
procedure?  i tried to do so already, and all sorts of problems came
from it.  existing leases were getting NAK responses for renewals, and
new leases were not being given out.  i even wound up with "peer holds
all free leases" errors from both servers.

i stopped both instances, changed the conf files from static files to a
config pointing to ldap for configs, and started one instance. i waited
a minute or so and started the second instance.

i also stopped both instances and removed the leases files from both
servers and restarted.  in no scenario was i able to get leases to start
being handed out.  because the network is a lab network, i dont have any
real requirement for things to stay online at all times.

am i missing something in my approach?  are there best practices to
perform such a change?

thanks in advance,

brendan