Dns Servers

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Fri Nov 25 13:00:15 UTC 2016

On 25 Nov 2016, at 12:17, Marcelo Magno Espindola de Melo wrote:

> How many dns servers can I configure for isc-dhcpd to serve?

  There is no specific limit.
  Beyond two or three, any additional ones are likely not useful.

  I'ld suggest just using two.

  I understand that some clients (used to?) ignore any DNS servers
  beyond the first two.

  It's  not unusual for clients to attempt to use the DNS servers
  always in the same order (as given in the DHCP option 6), so that
  the second one is only used in case a response is not received
  from the first within the time-limit.  If you configure 5 DNS
  servers, and for some reason only the last is working, your
  customers will notice such delays that they won't appreciate the
  trouble you took to provide four stages of fallback.

  Best regards,
  Niall O'Reilly