dhclient binary size

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Sep 28 15:00:32 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 02:23:47PM +0000, Bancroft, Matt wrote:
> Between 4.1-ESV-R12b1 and 4.3.4 the binary size of the dhclient
> significantly increased.
>
> I've had a search back through posts and cannot see any discussion
> about why this is; presumably the DDNS changes?

I think it was the inclusion of external libraries in the project;
this occurred with the now-EOL 4.2 branch.  Compare the sizes of the
source tarballs of 4.3 and 4.1-ESV branches.

> Is there any way to compile a minimum feature version to maintain a
> small binary size for the client?

Stick with 4.1-ESV for the client.  If necessary to coexist with a
4.3.4 server, build 4.1-ESV with a --prefix configure setting.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/