DHCP pair messed up, second one only running cant get primary up.

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Sun Jan 15 22:47:24 UTC 2017

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 12:25:48 +0000
> From: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
> To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
> Subject: Re: DHCP pair messed up, second one only running cant get
> 	primary up.
>

> On 14 Jan 2017, at 02:39, Rob Morin <rmorin at datavalet.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry I had a typo in my email we cat /dev/null into dhcp. leases~ file not the active file
> You could just delete it !
> The server will recreate it when it does it's cleanup. The process it uses is :
>  Write out all lease info to new file
>  Rename leases to leases~
>  Rename new file to leases
>
> Once this is done, there is no need to the leases~ file.

Strictly speaking, this is true.  However, in the event of disk
corruption or an inopportune crash, leases~ can be useful for recovery.
Recognizing that space on a ramdisk is valuable, you might wish to mv
leases~ to a magnetic disk rather than deleting it.  This has the
additional benefit of putting the backup on a different spindle,
avoiding a single point of failure.

Disk failures are a lot less frequent than they once were, but they do
still happen...and when they do, the more state is available (even if
somewhat stale), the less painful the recovery.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.