cannot renew IPV6 address

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Fri Jan 27 16:17:13 UTC 2017

On 27/01/2017 13:02, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Jean-Max Reymond <jmreymond at ckr-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems that dhcp server from my ISP is not answering to my requests
> Or it could be a problem with a relay agent. Either way, if there's no answer from the ISP then you need to take that up with them.
This makes me think, what is the real difference between getting an IP
first time and renewing it? In IP4 getting an IP is broadcast, renewing
is going directly, not passing relays.
I don't off the top of my head remember for IP6, but two situations
could be relevant:
- renewal and initial requests go different paths and only one is
functional.
- renewal and initial request have to go same way but ISP expects them
to be separate so the correct path is not implemented.

> I suspect that so far, IPv6 is at the "most users would never notice" stage for most ISPs and an outage like this won't result in any support calls to them. Thus they'll not know there's a problem to fix until you call them.

Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting:

       "MALE BOVINE MANURE!!!"