Adding via logic multiple devices to a CLASS

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 3 12:29:22 UTC 2017

On 2 Jul 2017, at 22:11, Tom Priore <tom.priore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I have no way of controlling or predicting the vendor identifiers.  Anything from that agent.id will end up in the same range.

I think I have another idea that will work. You'll need to check the man pages for the syntax - I believe man dhcp-eval will be the most pertinent - as it's an area I've not used myself. But, if you do a bit of variable setting I think it might work, like this pseudo-code :

if substring(option vendor-class-identifier,0,6) != "docsis"
then
  set device = suffix( option agent.remote-id, 6)
else
  set device = ""

class "MODEMCLIENT" {
  match device

subclass "MODEMCLIENT" 7c:b2:1b:9d:7e:fc ;

So what this is doing is looking at your vendor class and if it's not "docsis" then it's setting the variable device to be the remote ID (else it sets it to blank). You then define a class which matches on that variable, and use subclasses to simplify matching devices into the class.