Host Declaration

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 18:52:12 UTC 2017

Jérôme BECOT <jerome.becot at inalco.fr> wrote:

> I'd like to know if I declare the host group outside the subnet it would be the same as declaring them directly inside the subnet block. Isc doesn't complain both ways.
>
> If the client configuration would be the same, then what is the best way (best practice) to declare them (inside or outside the subnet) ?

As I wrote previously, they are global in scope and you should not declare them inside a subnet unless you really understand the ramifications of some weird option inheritance issues. I don't recall anyone actually coming up with a use for that inheritance.

> I think you have already answered saying host statments are global, but please confirm.

Yes, they are global in scope regardless of where defined.