DHCP Failover - initial Configuration

Philippe Maechler plcmaechler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:03:16 UTC 2018

On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 at 17:03, Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Philippe Maechler <plcmaechler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On of our access system is doing something like
> dhcp-snooping/dhcp-aging. When a client successfuly logs on with a DORA
> sequence, the clients mac address is allowed to communicate for a given
> time. unfortunately this time is hardcoded in the access system and not
> learnt from the DORA sequence.
>
> That is bad and means the access system is BROKEN. No ifs or buts, it is
> **BROKEN**.
> But I imagine you've already suggested this to the vendor and they've
> "declined to fix it".

Exactly. I was told that the lease-time is internaly handled as an integer
in hours and therefor would require significant changes in the system. I
could never really understand that because when the lease-time is in hours,
how does the system detects if the lease ends yet or in 10 minutes...
But yes, a fix was declined or better "not possible in the near future"...
that was two years ago :(