option 82 circuit-id host-identifier extra leading characters in string

Greg Fausak lgfausak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 19:24:59 UTC 2018

I have recently started using the circuit to assign ip addresses. looking
at all of the examples online i don't see an issue that I had with the
string itself.  It starts with a 0x01, and then it has the length of the
string in the next byte, followed by the circuit id, like this:

  host hostnum1000019 {

        host-identifier option agent.circuit-id
"\x01\x20myrelayswitchnamehere:Ethernet17";

        fixed-address 192.168.100.219;

  }

  host hostnum1000020 {

        host-identifier option agent.circuit-id
"\x01\x20myrelayswitchnamehere:Ethernet18";

        fixed-address 192.168.100.220;

  }

this configuration here functions using isc dhcpd version 4.2.5.  i realize
the leading two characters are part of the protocol, but I didn't expect to
have to encode them in my host-identifier string.  Since I don't see these
extra characters in any examples, is there something not set right here?

-g
--
Greg Fausak