Building DHCP server from sources/repository

Patrick Cervicek patrick at freifunk-stuttgart.spamtrap.hs-esslingen.de
Mon Jan 1 15:45:43 UTC 2018

just for the mail archive

Patrick

"How to checkout, build and start DHCP server"

@ISC: It would be nice if you could provide some documentation on your
developer/git page. Please fix the dhcp configure/makefiles. Please also
check how to build and run ATF in dhcp.

# prepare environment on host
CHROOT=$HOME/chroot

# create new linux build system (chroot) with debootstrap
sudo debootstrap --arch i386 --variant=minbase stretch
$CHROOT/stretch_i386_root http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian
chroot $CHROOT/stretch_i386_root

# prepare environment in chroot
WORKSPACE=$HOME/isc-workspace
mkdir ${WORKSPACE}

# change to root
sudo chroot stretch_i386_root/

# install necessary packages
apt-get install build-essential git libssl-dev

# clone both repositories - dhcp dependends on bind libs!
git clone https://source.isc.org/git/bind9.git ${WORKSPACE}/bind
git clone https://source.isc.org/git/dhcp.git  ${WORKSPACE}/dhcp

# change to bind directory
cd ${WORKSPACE}/bind

# run configure and name a directory where the bin/libs/includes should be
installed for dhcp
# consider taking "--with-atf" for unit tests
./configure --prefix=${WORKSPACE}/bind-output
make
make install

# change to dhcp directory
cd ${WORKSPACE}/dhcp

# run configure and name a directory where the bin/libs/includes should be
installed
# important: you need now to name the output folder with the previously
built bind files
# --with-atf does not work :-(
./configure --prefix=${WORKSPACE}/dhcp-output
--with-libbind=${WORKSPACE}/bind-output

# change LIB variable in all Makefiles
sed -i 's/^LIBS =.*/LIBS = -lssl -lcrypto -lpthread/g' */Makefile
##  on ubuntu you need gssapi_krb5 (?)
##  sed -i 's/^LIBS =.*/LIBS = -lgssapi_krb5 -lssl -lcrypto -lpthread/g'
*/Makefile

make
make install

# check if server was built
./server/dhcpd -v
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.4.0a1

# finish