Different Failover Interfaces than DHCP interfaces

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 20:01:19 UTC 2018

iftech at skynet.be wrote:

> In the failover configuration can we use different IP address than the server IP address itself so that Failover traffic is out-of-band
>
> Example:
>
> Both servers of a pair would have 10.0.0.1&10.0.0.2 as IP address for the real DHCP traffic interface
>
> While in the failover config primary and secondary IP would be 10.1.1.1&10.1.1.2 for failover link to work on a dedicated interface ?

I don't use failover, but I believe that is supported.
One of the stated reasons for not automatically going into partner down state on losing contact with the peer is because there are networks where the servers may both be able to talk to clients, but not with each other - eg if they use a dedicated link or management network which has failed.