How to properly break DHCPd failover peer relationship

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:21:13 UTC 2018

On 13 March 2018 at 13:25, Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote:
> I would suggest these steps:
>
> 1. On the failover server, stop the DHCP process.
> 2. On the primary server, put in "partner down" mode.  (I don't have the
> exact command in front of me, I think you use omshell.)
> 3. Wait for as long as your longest lease time.  You can watch the clients
> do DHCPREQUESTs to the failover server from half the lease time to 7/8, and
> then DHCPDISCOVER and get the lease renewed from the primary server.
> 4. Reconfigure the primary server without the failover options.

As long as they are both up they should be in sync with each other,
and both systems have a full copy of the leases, so no need to use
partner down - it could actually cause you more pain to put it into
partner down if you are close to running out of leases in any pools -
on entering partner down you have to wait MCLT before you take over
the other addresses.

Just remove any mention of failover from the primary configuration,
shut down the secondary, restart the primary, remove any IP helpers
pointing to the secondary.

And of course, goes without saying, do this in a maintenance window.

Steve