Option (old Style) <option pxelinux> under 4.3* Version?

Andreas Traub A.Traub at Globus.net
Mon Mar 26 08:31:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

thank you for the Response Thomas.

Thomas Markwalder wrote
> Could you tell me what version of software you are currently running
> (i.e. the older version)?

When we used those Options with a ISC DHCP Server, it was a Version of
3.0.3.
In the Meanwhile also other DHCP Server were used, but the Intention is to
use an actual Version of the ISC DHCP Server.

If i understand correctly, we can define those Options, but those weren't
interpreted by the DHCP Server?

It looks like that, i defined atm this one:

option space pxelinux;
option pxelinux.ServerNameShort code 129 = text;
option pxelinux.Password code 131 = text;
option pxelinux.ServerNameLong code 133 = text;
option pxelinux.User code 134 = text;
site-option-space "pxelinux";
option pxelinux.EmpirumServer "TheServerNameShort";
option pxelinux.EmpPW "ThePassword";
option pxelinux.EmpSrvLong "TheFQDN";
option pxelinux.EmpUser "TheUser";

Not surprising, i does not work atm. ;-)

The Server can be restarted with this one, but is sais clearly:

> WARNING: site-local option codes less than 224 have been deprecated by
> RFC3942.
> You have options listed in site local space pxelinux that number as low as
> 129.
> Please investigate if these should be declared as regular options rather
> than site-local options, or migrated up past 224.

The DHCP also only want to have this Options directly in the dhcpd.conf
File.
If placed in another File (like include "/etc/dhcp/clients.dhcpd.conf";) the
DHCP Server won't start.

I think we have to discuss the "Way to go" completely, also with a look on
this PXELinux System...

Best regards,
Andi

--