ISC DHCP client behaviour when receiving two options from DHCP server.

venkey linuxvenkey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:44:21 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am using ISC dhcp client,  My DHCP server is generating two options 54 in
DHCP offer, Then ISC dhcp client is sending malformed DHCP request.

DHCP Client is sending option 54 with 8 bytes by simply appending the two
option 54 server identifiers.

Server Request :

*.....
Option: (54) DHCP Server Identifier
    Length: 4
    DHCP Server Identifier: 10.221.10.124
Option: (54) DHCP Server Identifier
    Length: 4
    DHCP Server Identifier: 10.221.10.124
.......*

DHCP Client Response :

*Option: (54) DHCP Server Identifier :
    Length: 8
    Value: 0add0a7c0add0a7c
    [Expert Info (Error/Protocol): length isn't 4]*

Here the client is sending DHCP request by appending both server identifier
received and making the DHCP Server identifier length 8, Which is wrong.

What is exact behavior,  and Is it valid to get Duplicate options in DHCP
offer from the server as per the RFC.

venkey
Thanks,

--