Is it possible to assign 2 ip addresses from different subnet to an dhcp request?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 21 21:17:39 UTC 2019

Marc Roos <M.Roos at f1-outsourcing.eu> wrote:

> Is it possible to assign 2 ip addresses from different subnets to a dhcp
> request? So the receiving client should configure eth0 and eth0:1.

Yes, you just need to arrange for a client to make separate requests using different Client-IDs

BTW, using eth0:1 for additional addresses is rather outdated - and IME of little utility. All I've ever done for years is just add the addresses to the base interface, as in :
ip addr add a.b.c.d/nn dev eth0

Also note that you cannot bind a DHCP client to such an interface either. Since it has to handle broadcast messages, the system is unable to differentiate between broadcast messages to be handled by eth0 and broadcast messages to be handled by eth0:1.