dhclient and custom Linux routing tables (VRF)

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Jun 7 11:48:42 UTC 2019

Mateusz Viste <mateusz at viste.fr> wrote:

> I have read dhclient's documentation, and did not find any mention of either
> VRFs or custom routing tables... Have I missed some obvious trick here?

Network configuration changes from DHCP are handled by the
dhclient-script, which is probably supplied by your Linux distribution.

You might find you have to re-do most of the dhclient-script logic to
support VRFs, so you might be better off providing a complete replacement
script rather than using the hooks.

[ One awkward thing I have noticed is that Debian's dhclient-script always
continues after running the enter hooks, whereas the ISC versions exit
early if the enter hooks exit with a non-zero ststus, so the enter hooks
might or might not allow you to completely override parts of the
dhclient-script. ]

Tony.
Whitby to Gibraltar Point: East or southeast 4 or 5, increasing 6 or 7 for a
time, veering southwest later. Slight becoming moderate. Rain for a time then
showers. Good, occasionally poor later.