dhclient and custom Linux routing tables (VRF)

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste.fr
Sun Jun 9 06:47:56 UTC 2019

On 08/06/2019 23:43, Anders Löwinger wrote:
> I've done this without problem - recently tested in ubuntu 18.04. You
> need to create a namespace for the network.

Hello Anders,

Thank you for your answer, but a netns is different from a VRF. The
namespace is a total isolation container, unsuitable for my needs.
AFAIK, a single process cannot have sockets in different namespaces,
while this is totally possible with a VRF.

That being said, there is a similar 'ip vrf exec' command in the latest
(5.x) branch of iproute2, unfortunately it doesn't run properly on my
default Debian 9.9 kernel - seems it needs some CGROUP extensions that
are not part of the default build. Will have to experiment some more.

Mateusz