unsubscribe

Jan Lundmark jan.lundmark at guidelinegeo.com
Thu Nov 21 06:53:32 UTC 2019

Från: dhcp-users <dhcp-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> För Andrew Bell
Skickat: den 11 november 2019 22:26
Till: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
Ämne: Re: [EXT] Re: dhcp-users Digest, Vol 133, Issue 6

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:29:47AM -0500, Andrew Bell wrote:
> What kind of wifi controller are you using that can handle 65000+ users on
> a single subnet?!

Many kinds.  Wi-Fi is generally handled as one flat subnet on an entire campus/site with broadcast/multicast suppression so that you don't have roaming problems which would happen if you need to roam to a new subnet.

Actually, I've been using pooled /20 subnets for years, which was considered best practice for campus networks at the time it was implemented. Roaming to a new subnet never happens.

This made me go look up the current best practices though, and it appears that the pooled model is being deprecated in favour of bigger subnets. Good to know.