Host definitions in lease file

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 30 17:12:21 UTC 2019

Surya Teja <suryateja042 at gmail.com> wrote:

>I just want to know how many of the active lease of the dhcp server, So
>from the lease file I am getting the info of all scope IP's but
>reserved is
>missing just curios to know if there is way to get the info of the
>active
>host objects

No, the server does not record that.

>I have one more doubt I am putting all my host declaration statements
>in
>there respective subnet section just to maintain my conf easy readable
>know this host IP belongs to this subnet like that, when i restart the
>dhcpd it gives me warning
>saying warning that host declarations should be global , yes the
>functionality is working fine but just want to know will it impact any
>server performance?

Thecwarning is correct - if a client connects to a different network then it'll get an IP for that network, but inherit options from where it's host statement is located. This is almost certsinly notvwhat you want !
If you are certain the no host will ever move, then no problem. BUT, perhaps a few years down the line, someone will do something different - odd things will happen (eg client given a lease with wrong router address), and much confusion will ensue.

That's why the advice is "just don't do that". Keep your hosts in the global scope.