DHCP server assigned its own address

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Tue Sep 17 16:03:42 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 9:32 PM Larry Apolonio <isc-dhcp at rh73.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a weird problem that I am trying to solve.
>
> In short, for those who don't want to read the details, I am trying to
> figure out why the DHCP server assigned its own IP address to another
> device.
>

> My dhcp server is running on CentOS 6.10 and is the regular RPM that
> comes with that distribution dhcp-4.1.1-63.P1.el6.centos.x86_64.
>
> What is a little unusual is that webmin is used to manage the dhcp
> server, for the most part it works for our environment.
>
> Yesterday, I got a nagios alert that the server was no longer available.
>   This nagios server is on the same subnet as the server so there was no
> weird firewall routing issues involved.  With the help of the networking
> guys, we found that another machine took the IP address of our DHCP
> server.  This happened late July this year and it ended up being a human
> error, the person spinning up a machine on this network assigned a
> static IP address to their machine that was the same IP as our server,
> so we thought someone did it again.
>
> The difference this time is that it seems like the DHCP server itself
> assigned its own IP address
>
> Here is a sample of that subnet declaration, with IPs changed to protect
> the innocent
>
> # XXXXXX Subnet
> subnet 192.168.11.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>          range 192.168.11.10 10.254.11.10;
>          option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>          default-lease-time 28800;
>          option broadcast-address 192.168.11.255;
>          option routers 192.168.11.254;
>          option domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222 , 208.67.220.220;
>          option domain-name "example.local";
>          }
>
> The IP address of the DHCP server is 192.168.11.10, I personally would
> not do this, I would have not even had the DHCP server IP address in
> that range.  But please read on
>
> This is a rarely used subnet, so a machine appearing on this subnet is
> rare, in fact I thought this subnet did not have a dhcp declaration
> prior to me looking in to it.  Doesn't this log entry in
> /var/log/messages confirm it? (hostname was changed in this paste)
>
> Sep 12 10:02:12 linuxdhcpserver dhcpd: No subnet declaration for eth0
> (no IPv4 addresses).
> Sep 12 10:02:12 linuxdhcpserver dhcpd: ** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If
> this is not what
> Sep 12 10:02:12 linuxdhcpserver dhcpd:    you want, please write a
> subnet declaration
> Sep 12 10:02:12 linuxdhcpserver dhcpd:    in your dhcpd.conf file for
> the network segment
> Sep 12 10:02:12 linuxdhcpserver dhcpd:    to which interface eth0 is
> attached. **
>
> When the service was restarted 3 hours later, that same message about no
> subnet declaration for eth0 did not appear.
>
> One reason we use webmin is so that non-linux folk (AKA people without
> the root password) can log in to an easy web interface is to manage the
> [...]

Do not depend on "ping before assign" to cover for an incorrect
configuration.   Static devices and dynamic DHCP ranges should never
overlap.  The subnet that the DHCP server is in must be defined, but does
not need to have a dynamic range.  It can have a range if no like, no need
for a separate subnet, just don't define the same IP as both static and
dynamic.

--
Bob Harold