Esoteric question

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Fri Sep 20 16:45:17 UTC 2019

So, the provider came in and replaced the cable-modem and that made the problem vanish.
I'm going to see if I can get ahold of the problem modem, and *if* I get some time, I'll see if I can tease out what might have been the root cause.

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for it, but we'll see.
It certainly was a *very* odd situation - and I'd love to know the cause.

-Greg

Not to "diss" any of the prior suggestions - but THIS, well this is something I can get behind!

It *might* not be correct, and it's a bust of an idea - but it, IMNSHO, ties all the pieces together in a really elegant way.
It's just a concept that makes so much sense and makes all the weird symptoms all seem so much more plausible.

Wow. Really, massive thanks Simon.

I'll try to update the list when/if I figure out what's wrong. [Unless I've done something so incredibly stupid I'm too embarrassed to post about it... :( ]

The modem did get replaced today, so it's possible the symptoms simply vanish because of some change in the modem config, etc. But we'll see.

Thanks so much all!

-Greg