DHCP restart with bulk lease data

Surya Teja suryateja042 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 11:04:52 UTC 2019

Hi ,

I have an issue with dhcpd service restart when it handles a bulk lease
data. As part of testing I have simulated the dhcp server to lease test
using dhcperf tool to check the performance statistics when the dhcpserver
handles a huge lease data Ex :300689(3M). It is taking 3 to 4 minutes of
duration to start up the service, Is this the expected behaviour when we
have a such large lease file ? (FYI: No memory, disk space problem on the
system)

 When I restarted dhcpd in the log message I have a seen statement like
 Wrote 300689 leases to leases file.
Does the restart dhcpd will rewrite the lease file again?
I also observed  as new lease file with extension ~ at end like after
restart dhcpd
I see two lease file one with dhcpd.leases and other dhcpd.leases*~*
 If it is not expected behaviour can anyone have any reference tool or
steps to check what is taking time to bring the service up
Thanks in Advance