Latest lease entry not the one offered to the client

ksladic gosturnca at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 03:07:04 UTC 2020

Hi Simon.

Thank you very much for detailed explanation.
I actually thought that MAC address is unique enough to identify a client,
but it obviously isn't.

Since I use only one DHCP client on each interface (MAC), I think that
introducing DUID (dhclient -i) will solve my problem.
I should not get to a state of DHCP server thinking there are multiple
clients on a single MAC. And I think client will keep its generated DUID as
long as dhclient.leases is not deleted.

Regarding lease file cleanup:
1. Does it remove all expired leases?
2. Does it remove duplicate leases ... keeping only last valid one?
3. In general (before or after lease file cleanup) if I would like to find
the latest valid leased IP for a client, is it best to go through whole file
and pick valid lease with latest timestamp? Because as I understand I can
not rely on the order of leases in the file.

Even if you don't have time to answer my additional questions, I really
appreciate your first reply.
It helped me a lot.

Thanks,
Klemen