dhcpd does not answer DHCPDISCOVER from systemd-networkd

Frederik Himpe frederik at frehi.be
Wed Feb 26 12:54:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 20:31 +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Frederik Himpe <frederik at frehi.be> wrote:
>
> > I have a Debian Buster server running dhcpd version 4.4.1-2 an a
> > client
> > with Ubuntu 18.04. When I use systemd-netword to get an IP using
> > DHCP,
> > the server does not answer the DHCPDISCOVER. However, when I run
> > dhclient instead, dhcpd does answer the DHCPDISCOVER. Also PXE
> > booting
> > works.
> >

> > subclass "AI" 1:04:0e:3c:a3:b2:79;
>
> So where is group AI defined ? How is it defined ?

Right, I had forgotten about that. It's defined like this, at the top
level in the hierarchy in dhcpd.conf:

class "AI" {
        match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier, hardware);
}

And there we have the problem...

> One really obvious difference there is that dhclient is not sending
> Option 61, while systemd-networkd is sending a 19 byte Option 61.

So this option 61 is the dhcp-client-identifier I'm using in the class
definition. Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction! With
just match hardware it's now working as I want.

Regards,

--
Frederik Himpe <frederik at frehi.be>