MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Mike Richardson mike.richardson at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 09:10:54 UTC 2020

Hiya,

Given Apple's decision to enable randomisation of MACs on IOS devices every
24 hours, I was wondering what effect this would have on DHCP?

For example, if you have a pool of 100 IPs, 50 IOS devices and leases set to
7 days.

At the moment the same 50 IPs would be assigned each day. Post-randomisation
50 would be assigned on day 1. On day 2, my understanding is that the devices
would REQUEST their previous IPs and be NACKed, then do a DISCOVER and get a
new lot of 50 addresses. What I'm unsure about is what happens on day 3? 'no
free leases', a ping check and reallocation of old addresses or something
else?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Mike