MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

Mike Richardson mike.richardson at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 10:59:09 UTC 2020

> Hi Mike,
>
> This is not something new, it has been around since IOS 8 in 2014. I think
> this page summarises how it works and has links to Apple's site with more
> details.
>
> https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/more-details-on-how-ios-8s-mac-address-randomization-feature-works-and-when-it-doesnt/
>
> It appears that it randomises the MAC address when the device is passively
> scanning for networks and other particular settings are enabled or disabled,
> so systems can't use the MAC address to persistently track wherever you go.
> However, it seems that any associations/joining of networks is based on the
> actual MAC address.
>
> Or am I talking about something else entirely different?

Something new I believe:

https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/new-private-wi-fi-address-iphone-feature-could-severely-impact-the-wi-fi-industry-expert-says/?mc_cid=9ff8988c11&mc_eid=000d85d9e3
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Apple, in IOS14, are going to implement the changing of MACs every 24 hours
as the default, and different ones for each SSID, I believe.

I'm just trying to evaluate the impact on things like DHCP, but I'm not sure
about exactly what happens when pools are, sort of, exhausted.

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike Richardson

** This email address will no longer work after 30th September 2018 **
** Please use doctor at perpetual.name instead for personal email      **
** For work related communication use mike.richardson at jisc.ac.uk    **