MAC randomisation and DHCP pools

glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Jul 26 03:02:16 UTC 2020

Hi Mike,

I think in the short term setting the lease time to 24 hours would free
up old leases after the MAC address changes, meaning the old client
effectively goes away. Public places like shopping malls, should already
have shorter leases due to the massive churn in clients, so it's not
going to bother them much.

But that doesn't address any of the issues with identifying individual
devices, eg to put into different classes. For that I think it will need
an education scheme with your users to turn off the feature on networks
where identifying the client matters, eg corporate or home networks.

I think this will evolve to having some other persistent identifier for
systems to use.

regards,
-glenn