DHCP server configuration does not work for all clients

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Thu Oct 8 22:09:18 UTC 2020

On 8 Oct 2020, at 21:55, Jim Yang wrote:

> `class “mytest” {`
>           match option dhcp-client-identifier;
> }

Since your packet-capture doesn't show any option 61 (client id) data,
I would expect the hardware address to be used instead, and
would share your expectation of the behaviour.

We must both be overlooking the same thing.

>     It seems that I should change the class definition to match either
> option dhcp-client-identifier or hardware.
>
> `class “mytest” {`
>                 match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier,
> hardware);
> }

Or even (since you seem to be specifically interested in using the MAC
address)

     class "mytest" { match hardware; }

which would protect against failing to recognize a client with `"Niall's
Mac"`
as the client id, but would potentially introduce the "docking-station"
problem
mentioned in _Droms and Lemon_.

I'm out of ideas. I hope someone else can contribute the missing
insight.

Niall