best practice for fixed-address / reserved leases

glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Jan 4 00:04:47 UTC 2021

Hi Michael,

One other alternative to a reserved lease (which is essentially infinite
time) could be to set a very long lease, say a few months or 1 year -
just make it a longer than any amount of time the system might be not on
the network.

This can be done in dhcpd.conf, in this case a dynamic address from the
pool is assigned. If there were a few of these they could be put in a
group{} or a class.

host foo {
   hardware ethernet aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff;
   # 1 year in seconds
   min-lease-time 31536000;
}

class "long" {
   match pick-first-value (option dhcp-client-identifier, hardware);
   min-lease-time 31536000;
}
subclass "long" 1:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff; # repeat for more devices

The other advantage here is that if the device is permanently removed
from the network, eventually the lease will expire and be available for
re-use by other systems.

regards,
Glenn