Query on default gateway with DHCP vs Static address

SIMON BABY simonkbaby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 23:03:04 UTC 2021

Hi,
I have a query about the DHCP provided IP address vs Static IP address
configured manually.  When i get the IP address from DHCP, I can ping to
8.8.8.8 (google public server) where as
with a statically configured IP address, I could not.  When I looked into
the route table (route -n ), I did not see any default gateway with DHCP or
Statically configured IP.  (I am testing with Linux).

1. Can I know when the packet goes out , how did the hardware (NIC) find
the default gateway in the case of the DHCP provided IP address since I did
not see any default gw IP in the routing table?
2. With statically configured IP, if I explicitly configure a default GW, I
can see packets are going out and receiving. I can see the default GW in
the routing table. Do I need a default GW to send packets from a statically
configured IP address ?

Thank you for your time

Regards
Simon