Captive Portal

Simon dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 17:15:29 UTC 2021

Kraishak Mahtha <kraishak.edu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to implement a captive portal with cases like where users can be guest,authenticated and unknown-clients without restarting the dhcp service frequently.
> Initially the client will be getting the IP from the quarantine range and the user getting a custom portal page where he can be authenticated or accept the terms and be as a guest.
> I tried to use the concept of known and unknown-clients so that using omapi concept i can add an authenticated client as known client so that it does not need a restart of dhcp service.
> but I want to add one more case where I can differentiate the clients also as guest users
> can anyone suggest to me any config element where I can differentiate all these three cases(non-authenticated, authenticated and guest).

The first thing that comes to mind is to use classes - a class for authenticated clients, and another for non-authenticated clients. Use subclasses to put devices into one or other class. Then you have a pool where you allow one class, another pool where you allow the other class, and a guest pool where you explicitly deny both classes.

Simon