DHCID calculation bug

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Thu Jul 16 17:17:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 03:32:10PM +0200, René GARCIA wrote:
> I'm working on IPv4 to IPv6 transition. As part of my job I've been testing
> ISC DHCP 4.1.1b (and cvs repository) and I'm unhappy with DHCID handling
> when sharing IPv4 DHCP+DDNS and IPv6 DHCP+DDNS in the same domainname. So
> looking to the source code I've found two bugs. This post is about the fist
> bug, I'll describe the second one in another post.

I also noticed the bugs in the dhcid generator function, I'm not
really worried about the type range check because it is an internal
consistency check, and the error in calculating the first bytes of
the text string means that current DHCID/TXT RR's in zones actively
using this feature would suddenly become incompatible on a maintenance
upgrade.

So resolving these DHCID issues has been elided until we migrate from
our TXT record to RFC standard DHCID RR's (so we have one migration
to manage).