DHCP and timezone options

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Dec 14 06:24:45 UTC 2017

On 12/13/2017 06:08 PM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I was thinking it would be nice if one could configure DHCP to emit the
> relevant options dynamically, and for the DHCPv4 case

I've always thought this would be nice. My current approach involves
writing the timezone offset to an include file and restarting dhcpd when
it changes.

> it would also be
> interesting to have the dhcp-renewal-time capped to the point of the
> next TZ transition, to force it to renew the lease and thus get the
> updated time-offset option.

This too would be interesting. Right now, I have to settle for
compromise lease times that feel too long around the DST transitions and
too short otherwise.

One concern I have would be large scale installations. If all the DHCP
leases were capped to the fixed boundary, it could create a thundering
herd of renewals. My deployment is not large scale, so I have no
experience here.

--
Richard