[ANNOUNCE] INN 2.5.5 available
rra at isc.org
Sat Aug 15 22:47:45 UTC 2015
Internet Systems Consortium is pleased to announce that a new bug-fix
release of INN is available at:
The MD5 checksum of this release is:
A PGP signature, signatures of SHA-1, SHA-256, and SHA-512 checksums, and
a patch from 2.5.4 to 2.5.5 are available in the same directory.
This is a bug-fix release over 2.5.4. Upgrading an existing INN 2.5.4
installation is as simple as building INN 2.5.5, running make update, and
restarting innd and related programs.
Many thanks to Julien ÉLIE for preparing this release.
This will be the final release of the INN 2.5.x series, barring major
security holes. INN 2.6.0 will soon be released.
Changes in 2.5.5
* New inn.conf parameters used by nnrpd to fine-tune the SSL/TLS
configuration have been added: *tlsciphers*, *tlscompression*,
*tlseccurve*, *tlspreferserverciphers*, and *tlsprotocols*. Many
thanks to Christian Mock for his contribution that permits to tighten
the level of security provided by TLS/SSL.
* innwatch no longer creates a child process only for sleeping and then
waits on that process. The forked-off process only died after it had
done sleeping, which caused the INN service to drop into maintenance
state when for instance running under SMF on illumos/Solaris (since
not all processes die within timeout). Thanks to Lauri Tirkkonen for
* innd no longer crashes if a channel is supposed to sleep but does not
define a waker callback function. Also, the highest file descriptor
of sleeping channels is now properly updated. Thanks to Petr
Novopashenniy for the bug report.
* Add new -i flag to both cnfsstat and innwatch to specify how many
seconds they should sleep at startup. It will especially be useful in
rc.news so that these scripts are actually started and then sleep by
themselves, instead of being started a minute after innd and therefore
not being properly stopped if "rc.news stop" is invoked during that
* Add new -f flag to innwatch to specify the configuration file to use,
in case it is not the default innwatch.ctl file.
* Add new -t flag to mailpost to change, if needed, the default
directory to use to temporarily store error messages that are sent to
the newsmaster. Two paths are now tried by default: *pathtmp* as set
in inn.conf, and then /var/tmp if *pathtmp* is not writable.
* When the creation of a newsgroup needed expanding the tradindexed
group index, an already-running nnrpd was not automatically noticing
newly created newsgroups. Richard Kettlewell fixed that issue.
* Fixed flushing of CNFS buffers when using NFS storage.
* Fixed how innupgrade is executed during an update of an INN
installation; on a few systems like AIX, it fails to run because its
taint mode was unproperly declared.
* Several improvements have been contributed to pullnews by Geraint
Edwards: the new -a flag adds the Diablo-compatible hashfeed ability,
the new -B flag triggers header-only feeding, the -m flag now permits
to remove headers matching (or not) a given regexp, and rnews
reporting is improved.
* innreport now properly takes into account the time nnrpd spends
writing when using SASL.
* scanlogs now only shows the first 50 lines from error log files.
Otherwise, all of them were present verbatim in the daily report, and
the resulting e-mail could bounce owing to its length. Thanks to
Jeffrey M. Vinocur for the bug report.
* Fixed the use of the legacy AUTHINFO GENERIC command, that has been
broken since INN 2.4.0 (therefore proving readers probably no longer
use that method to authenticate). Thanks to Richard Kettlewell for
having noticed, though, and contributed to tighten the security of the
replies of this command.
* Add the nnrp.access2readers.conf contribution script written by
Jeffrey M. Vinocur to convert old-style nnrp.access file to
INN is discussed on <inn-workers at lists.isc.org>. Please send any bug
reports or patches to that list.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 472 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the inn-announce