makehistory performance

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Thu Aug 26 05:15:44 UTC 1999

In article <NDBBKHFIKKIHKJOOJDPOMEBBCEAA.George.Lindholm at ubc.ca>,
	"George Lindholm" <George.Lindholm at ubc.ca> wrote;

} A quick look at the source tells me that it controls how often
} sort is called. I'm not sure whether a smaller value or a bigger one
} would be better?

The smaller, it'll take longer time.  The bigger, you need
enough space to store temporary overview data.

} I did do a few random truss' on the makehistory process and I saw sort
} being called a small percentage of the time so I don't think
} it contributed much to the overall elapsed time.

By sorting overview data, most of the cache within tradindexed
are hit and you can get performance gains.  And the cache will
not be effective, if makehistory hands overview data at once.
I saw this several times on my testing server.  It took more
than double.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou