He1p Required - Please??? (fwd)

Lloyd Rennie lloyd at vbc.net
Fri Aug 13 15:26:27 UTC 1999

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Ian Freislich wrote:

> Lloyd Rennie wrote:
> > I have a year or so 'playing' with linux.  2 weeks ago I met the BSD
> > Demon... ;)
>
> Enjoy it. It's the only thing I trust to run news.
hokay ;)

> > /sd2:
> > total 7951680
> > -rw-rw-r--  1 news  news  6527897600 Aug 12 21:15 buf20
> > -rw-rw-r--  1 news  news   536870912 Aug 12 19:55 buf21
> > -rw-rw-r--  1 news  news  1073741824 Aug 12 21:15 buf22
>
> These look fine.
>
> > The files under these file systems are cyclic buffers, and do not change
> > size.
>
> Hmmm, then there might be a problem with df, although I've never
> seen my df report negative numbers, but I always run 'df -k'.
The negative numbers are not a problem.  Last time this happened, we ruled
it out as a possibility.  Can't remember why though - it was late at
night... (ain't it always?)  I see negative available space quite often...
Only in BSD though.

> Is your news server actually working at the moment, or is it moaning
> about the disk space? Were the file systems this full when you were
> handed the machine 2 weeks ago?

news at news2.uk0 {75} ctlinnd mode
Server throttled No space left on device writing SMstore file -- throttling
Allowing remote connections
Parameters c 14 i 50 (0) l 1000000 o 96 t 300 H 2 T 60 X 0 normal specified
Not reserved
Readers separate disabled No space left on device writing SMstore file --
throttling
Perl filtering enabled

Yes.  The cyclic buffers are created at install time, and do not change
size throughout their life-cycle.  Initially, they are zeroed-out.

> I would consider a later snapshot of FreeBSD as well, as of late
> July, the problems with softupdates and CAM appear to have been
> sorted out and might give you better performance with your overview.
I'll mention this to the boss ;)

--
Lloyd Rennie                   VBCnet GB Ltd	             lloyd at vbc.net
tel +44 (0) 117 929 1316    http://www.vbc.net    fax +44 (0) 117 927 2015