inn-2.2 inews buffer overflow

meow meowing at banet.net
Sun Aug 22 16:58:22 UTC 1999

In nnmh:inn-bugs, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone here know if inews has any reason at all to be setgid apart
> from being able to use the local Unix domain socket for posting?

The real reason for setgid is that if nnrpd is unreachable, inews
dumps articles into incoming.  While that makes it more resilient,
I've not been comfortable with the idea because it bypasses most of
the trace stuff.  The spooling case is also why inews duplicates the
header checks and does its own moderator mailing.

I suspect that much of this machinery appeared for smoother
interoperability with/transition from C News.  INN's evolved so much
that supporting that kind of thing probably isn't useful now.