rnews: cant freopen No such file or directory

Sylvain Robitaille syl at alcor.concordia.ca
Fri Dec 3 17:53:36 UTC 1999

Katsuhiro Kondou

> Can you find how your rnews is called?

Not with complete confidence that I'm finding the right instance. :-(

Of those I can find, I see only one which appears to provide an
argument to rnews. In backends/batcher.c, I see:

     44 STATIC STRING   Separator = "#! rnews %ld";
    274         case 's':
    275             Separator = optarg;
    276             break;
    454     SendIt:
    455         /* Now we can start to send the article! */
    456         if (Separator && *Separator) {
    457             (void)sprintf(buff, Separator, BytesInArt);
    458             BytesInCB += strlen(buff) + 1;
    459             BytesWritten += strlen(buff) + 1;
    460             if (fprintf(F, "%s\n", buff) == EOF || ferror(F)) {
    461                 (void)fprintf(stderr,
                                "batcher %s cant write separator %s\n",
    462                     Host, strerror(errno));
    463                 (void)close(artfd);
    464                 break;
    465             }
    466         }

Argh... No. Even if I'm looking in the right file, that argument is
apparently the number of bytes in the article.

No I'm afraid I don't see from where rnews is called with *any* filename
argument, let alone a null one. I was hoping those of you who have seen
more of this code than I have would just *know*!  :-)

It's probably worth mentioning that I don't have any UUCP neighbors, so
I'm completely ignoring any files that (I believe) deal with that. Can
you give me an idea where to look?

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada