linux.* newsgroups (off-topic)

David C Lawrence tale at iengines.com
Mon Dec 6 13:56:09 UTC 1999

The last I heard, the linux.* hierarchy was officially removed by its
creators.  The USENET Config Files FAQ also lists it as a defunct
hierarchy.

I am trying to get more information on its existence as a rogue
hierarchy and its possible sense as such.  That is, even though they
abandonded it, maybe it should still be carried.  Does anyone have any
information about whether it is being maintained, whether there is an
authoritative list of groups, what kind of traffic it gets, how well
distributed it appears to me ... any information at all?