Major build system changes landing

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 15 06:49:18 UTC 1999

Russ Allbery <rra at Stanford.EDU> writes:

> I'm landing major build system changes; expect the tree to be unstable
> until I've finished committing.  This is the first pass through
> switching the simple scripts from configure over to fixscript, as well
> as a rewrite of Makefile.global and some general makefile cleanups.

Done.

In the process of cleaning things out, I removed the remnants of the old
support for parallel builds (the $(P) stuff).  The rationale is that it's
hard enough to support and test make -j, which doesn't require any
specific Makefile support apart from well-written dependencies, and I
don't have access to a make program that understands the other syntax.
If anyone objects strongly, let me know; it's easy enough to put back in.

I also did some extensive reformatting of build rules that at least for me
makes them a lot easier to read (by the virtue of them almost always now
being on a single line).  Makefile.global is now also much richer in
comments than it was before, and the installation commands are now set
there rather than in all the individual makefiles.

And there are now about 50 fewer substitution targets in configure.  :)