my distaste for readers.conf grows

Jason Lavoie jason at mint.net
Tue Nov 16 01:54:53 UTC 1999

On 11/15, Aidan Cully wrote:
> It's beginning to seem to me like the readers.conf has been an
> unmitigated disaster, and all the feedback I've seen is making me
> wish I'd never implemented it in the first place.  Does *anyone*
> (besides me) actually prefer it to the old format?

Personally, I like it.  It's flexible to do most anything I can think of
wanting, especially with the ease of calling an external auth program.

It wasn't too hard to initially configure.  After one false start, I was
able to whip up a quick perl script to convert my nnrp.access (and other
access hacks) to the readers.conf format.  And, the 'key' functionality
was quite helpful here.

That said, I would've been just as happy to have a simple nnrp.access
clone for the masses with capabilities to direct to an external program.
Any administrator that needs complex auth should be able to hack up
their own script to do it.

-j

--
"What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a        | Jason Lavoie
 wall that people have stopped banging their heads against?" | jason at mint.net