Proposed patch: cancel channel

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Nov 3 22:23:31 UTC 1999

Olaf Titz <olaf at bigred.inka.de> writes:

> The idea is that for sending local cancels in bulk, the NNTP
> (unix-domain) socket is used. The client connects, sends the new command
> MODE CANCEL, waits for response (new code 284) and after that it simply
> sends all Message-IDs it wants to be cancelled. For each one it gets a
> response code 289 for success and 484 for failure. Other than the
> command protocol, this works exactly like "ctlinnd cancel".  On a TCP/IP
> socket, the MODE CANCEL command is refused, so only locally installed
> programs under the news UID can use it.

We probably want this anyway so that we can eventually enable it for
TCP/IP under special circumstances (it's an old proposal of Joe Greco's
for speeding up real-time spam cancelling).  So I'm definitely in favor.
I think his original proposal was called MODE FILTER and was capable of
streaming; not sure how much we should worry about trying to implement it
specifically.