Probs with misc.c (in innfeed/) and h_errno

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Sat Nov 13 17:23:37 UTC 1999

Hi all,

uname -a : SunOS sun06 5.6 Generic_105181-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

gcc --version : 2.95.2

Here is the deal:  in ./innfeed, using -D_REENTRANT as a compiler
option forces /usr/local/include/netdb.h to redefine h_errno as:

#ifdef _REENTRANT
extern int * __h_errno __P((void));
#define h_errno (*__h_errno())
#else
extern int h_errno;
#endif

This causes a link time error, because neither -lnsl or -lresolve knows
about __h_errno.

This doesn't happen with Sun's C compiler.  But that is because
Sun's compiler is using /usr/include/netdb.h, which doesn't have
the conditional define of h_errno.

Now that I think about it, we recently installed BIND 8.x on this
machine, and gcc 2.95.2 is calling in the netdb.h that was installed
into /usr/local/include.  Arghh...

Just a heads up...

Tom