overchan in 2.3

N niels at bakker.net
Sun Oct 3 12:56:32 UTC 1999

John P Speno wrote:

> If memory serves me right...
>
> If you are using overchan, enableoverview should be set to false. You don't
> want inn and overchan both writing overview records!

I grepped the source and overview records are only written when
useoverchan is false.  Other tasks (like renumbering) should definitely be
done by innd, even if it isn't writing out the actual overview records
itself.

Maybe innd was renumbering while that article came in and the highmark
wasn't set correctly?  Could there be a race condition, say if overchan
had a slight backlog?

Grepping logfiles shows:

Oct  2 04:43:21 buty innd: SERVER renumber alt.binaries.sounds.mp3 hi from 3621668 to 3621084

Ah-hah... anyone with ideas how to avoid this?  temporarily stop
feeding overchan before doing `ctlinnd renumber' from news.daily?

	-- Niels.