Bug in buffindexed?

The Hermit Hacker scrappy at hub.org
Sun Oct 3 21:42:38 UTC 1999

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Richard Michael Todd wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9910031639460.485-100000 at thelab.hub.org>you write:
> >
> >'K, that's what I ended up doing...
> >
> >One thing I'm curious about, and that is how painfully slow it is to
> >recreate the overviews...rebuilding history takes no time, but I ran
> >'makehistory -I -O' on a PII server with 768Meg of RAM and something like
> >36gig of full CNFS buffers, and after ~14hrs I said to hell with it, wip'd
> >out the CNFS/overview buffers and started with empty spools again...
> >
> >Is there a way of wip'ng out the overview (buffindexed) files, and
> >history, rebuildling the history so that the system can go live and then
> >just starting up a process to rebuild the overviews?
> >

> Try 'makehistory -O -x' to rebuild just overview without touching history.

okay, I don't have a test system to play with this on...am just hoping to
spur the creation of some sort of doc for "the next time this happens",
and/or to help others moving to buffindexed from tradindexed ...

Can this 'makehistory' be run while the system is live?  ie:

makehistory
makedbz -s `wc -l history`
~news/bin/rc.news
makehistory -O -x