Compilation impossible

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 23 19:29:27 UTC 1999

Christian Kurz <shorty at jupiter.rhein-neckar.de> writes:

> I installed perl5 on my system and now I wanted to recompile inn with
> it. I tried to compile two snapshots (one from 31.05 and one from 28.7)
> and both failed with the following error message:

> |gcc -I../include  -D_REENTRANT -DPOSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -D_THREAD_SAFE -g -O2  -I/usr/lib/perl5/5.005/i386-linux/CORE   -c getconfig.c
> |getconfig.c: In function `ReadInnConf':
> |getconfig.c:1005: virtual memory exhausted
> |make[2]: *** [getconfig.o] Error 1
> |make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/shorty/cvs/inn/lib'

> I know a bit of C, but I don't know how to fix this bug for recompiling
> Inn.

Compiling getconfig.c currently takes a fairly large amount of memory due
to ReadConfig() (which is a fairly large basic block) and a bunch of large
tables.  I've thought a few times about trying to find a better algorithm,
but I haven't been able to come up with any.

In general, if compiling a source file takes more memory than you have,
you can reduce the memory usage of the compiler by turning off
optimization for that file; if you're still having this problem (and I
know you wrote a long time ago), try compiling it without optimization.