still problems with overview/expireover

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at atgi.net
Mon Oct 25 05:18:41 UTC 1999

At 06:07 PM 10/24/99 , you wrote:
>In article <4.2.1.10.19991024164809.00c17c00 at pop.atgi.net>,
>         Paul Theodoropoulos <paul at atgi.net> wrote;
>
>} syslog complaining "expireover[24470]:buffindexed: could not open overview
>} for xyz". manually running expireover on the group ( echo "xyz" |
>} expireover -f - ) returns virtually the same error "expireover: could not
>} expire xyz". I guess that's an improvement over dropping core, but it still
>
>Can you examine where ovopensearch() fails?  To see
>this you need to insert some trace lines.

just tell me what to do (off list, of course), and i'll be happy to do it.

>} btw, i ran buffindexed on control.cancel, and it generated 217 megs of
>} output...!
>
>Maybe you have over 0.5M arts in control.cancel.

yup, just checked - 3.2M in fact (i moved control.cancel to the
alt.binaries metacycbuf a week or so ago, so eventually that will drop).

but why is that a problem? shouldn't expireover not have an arbitrary limit
such as .5M articles?
--
Paul Theodoropoulos                 Advanced TelCom Group, Inc.
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator             Internet Services